The Premier League Title Race heating up

With Arsenal picking up their form in the new year and Manchester City´s draw against Chelsea recently, the Premier League title race is tighter than ever. For the first time in the history of the Premier League are 3 clubs within 2 points of eachother this late in the season. Will Guardiola´s City defend their title successfully for a 4th title in the row and 6 titles out of the last 7 or will Liverpool give Klopp the perfect goodbye gift, or could  Arsenal win the title for the first time in 20 years. 


All teams are in good form. Liverpool will receive a boost from their League Cup final victory and also in the League they have been in winning moods. The defeat in their away game against fellow title contenders against Arenal was only the second of the season after falling short away against Tottenham and in 2024 so far Liverpool have managed to win all their other league games.A worry for the Reds is the ever growing list of injuries, with star players like Allison,Salah and Trent Alexander Arnold all sidelined in recent games. 

Manchester City

Manchester City are in splendid form since their 2-2 draw at home against Crystal Palace 2 months ago and their subsequent world club cup victory. They have won all but one game since then, which was their 1-1 draw against Chelsea at home on the 17th of February. However they have had some difficulties in their last games scoring goals, with 2 small 1-0 victorie over Brentford and Bournemouth not very convincing. The return of Haaland and De Bruyne from long term injuries will give the citizens confidence that they can claim top spot again this season, as most of their squad is fully available. 


Arsenal are blasting their way back in to the title race after a dip at the end of 2023 saw them drop out of the title race. However, since their mid season break trip to Dubai the Gunners have been relentless, winning all 6 premier league games with an impressive goal difference of 25-3. Especially their performances away from home against Burnley and West Ham and of course their victory over Liverpool were impressive. The Gunners have a few tricky away games up ahead in the final stage of the season but will be brimming with confidence after their recent displays. 

Remaining fixtures

Now that City have played their game in hand each team has 12 fixtures left. 

LiverpoolManchester CityArsenal
Nottingham Forest(A)Manchester United(H)Sheffield United(A)
Manchester City(H)Liverpool(A)Brentford(H)
Brighton(H)Arsenal(H)Manchester City(A)
Sheffield United(H)Aston Villa(H)Luton(H)
Manchester United(A)Crystal Palace(A)Brighton(A)
Crystal Palace(H)Luton(H)Aston Villa(H)
West Ham(A)Nottingham Forest(A)Tottenham(A)
Aston Villa(A)Fulham(A)Manchester United(A)
Wolves(H)West Ham(H)Everton(H)

Liverpool do have a slightly easier run in compared to their 2 rivals, with the average points per game they still have to play at 1.43, whereas this is 1.44 for Arsenal and City have the most difficult run in with 2.06 ppg of their remaining opponents. The Liverpool-Manchester City and Manchester City-Arsenal games will be crucial in the race for the title. If Liverpool can beat Man City at home and Arsenal then draw at City, Klopp´s men would have a comfortable cushion of a few points to go into the remaining games. However, if Man City can win both games they will set a massive step towards the title.

Based on Opta Data, Manchester City are the favourites, with about 50.6% chance to finish in first position. Liverpool are considered 2nd favourites with a 36.1% chance of winning the title whereas Arsenal come in 3rd with a 13.3% chance. Also at the bookmakers Manchester City are the favourites, with average odds around 2.09, Liverpool have odds of 3.02 and Arsenal sit slightly behind that at 3.91. 

It will be very interesting to see how the title race unfolds over the coming weeks. Can City extend their streak or will Klopp or Arteta steal the title away from the favourites. 

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.